Thursday, May 26, 2016

And the Countdown Begins...

Well I'm sitting her chomping at the bit to be done with another day of school.  Not much happens these last few days as the kids have finished all their assignments and are sitting with me, playing the waiting game.  The groups are set, The General and Gary are taking the Tank, Radar and Jess are floating in his canoe and Johnny Rambo and I are paddling the Core Craft.  I was hoping to be soloing it this year just for the simple fact that I just wanted to float a bit on my own and reflect on the past school year.  Still, I am happy to have Johnny in my canoe as that old bastard has the best balance of anyone in the group.  I have watched John do balancing acts in a canoe that would make an Olympic Gymnist jealous. 


As I was sitting in my room today, working on cleaning up the walls and bulletin boards I started to think about canoeing the entire Bigfork River in one shot.  I figure it would take a least two solid weeks to complete the journey.  This would also include spending nights at most of the camp sites along the way.  This would be a family trip with my wife and four kids, however, any other River Runner that wanted to join sure the heck could.  I figure that would have to wait for at least another three years so Bug has some time to grow and get stronger. 


The one thing that I want to come from this year's trip is a good story to tell.  I know for a fact we are going to get our shit wet because the weather is calling for a shit-load of rain on both Friday and Saturday.  My plan of taking off Friday night fell through because The General and Johnny will be the only ones there by the time I make it to the 140 tomorrow night.  I know it would have been assholes and elbows to get things loaded and moving on down the river.  I think it would have made for one hell of an adventure, but I feel the older crew is not so keen on pushing themselves anymore.  I suppose I will be that way when I hit my fifties also. 


I have a few things left to get ready tonight.  Some clothes and a few other minor items that are just waiting to get put into the car for the trip to Effie tomorrow night.  I just have a feeling, as I do almost every year, that I am forgetting something.  I suppose I will remember about a mile down the river and then the General will have some quip to make about my forgetfulness.  Oh well...


I guess I'm done for now as the bell is going to ring and I have things to do tonight.  Sorry this post is kind of boring, but tis better than no post.


Until next time I will remain...Crazy Joe.

No comments:

2005 River Runners

2006 River Runners